Dental Implant Problems
What are the signs of dental implant problems?
Just like natural teeth, dental implants can lose bone around them (also known as peri-implantitis). The amount of bone loss varies. Regardless of bone loss, there are key symptoms to a failing dental implant.
1) severe pain and discomfort around the implant
2) mobile implant and crown
3) swelling around the implant
4) gum recession, and/or
5) difficulty chewing on the implant.
Why do dental implants fail?
There are many causes for dental implant failures. However, the top three reasons for failure include:
1) failure to integrate into the bone during initial implant surgery
2) uneven forces and chewing on the implant, or
Can a failed dental implant be replaced?
Yes! Schedule an appointment with us today to learn how to save or replace your failing implant.
How can I reduce my chance of dental implant failures?
Maintaining good oral hygiene and practices will reduce your chance of dental implant failure. For that reason, regular dental checkups and cleanings are a must. Additionally, it may be necessary for some patients to wear a night guard.